Thursday, July 29, 2010

Karma

I got off work a little early today so I decided to head up on the mountain and do some fishing.
I started off at the Green tying on a cicada with a tan zebra midge as a dropper. The cicadas did not hatch this year but this fly still grabs the fishes attention. The first hole I came to I saw a couple of fish cruising around and ended up catching one up top, kind of. Well... it always takes a couple of fish when using a cicada to be patient enough to let the fish take such a big fly.

As you can see my dropper fly snagged the dorsal fin after yanking the cicada out of the fishes mouth. Quite a fight after that!

After my first fish "caught" this boy around 10 years old asked if I was catching fish. He told me that he has been up and down this river all day long with his dad and hasn't caught anything let alone seen a fish. Well, being the nice guy that I am I told him I would find him a fish. It just so happened that the next hole we walked to had 2 nice fish in it that were actively feeding. One was a rainbow in the 18-20 inch range. For the green this was probably the biggest fish I would see today; however I held back and let him cast out with his bubble and fly. I don't think he caught the fish since I took off shortly after, but he was happy just to see a fish.

I left that boy and ended up slaying the fish up top with my cicada. I ended up catching over a dozen fish in a couple of hours with nearly 75% of them on the cicada.

The wind picked up on the green so I decided to head over to a little lake nearby that is stocked with brookies. The weeds at this lake were too thick to fish from the shore but the scenery was awesome and I was able to watch a lot of deer, including a nice 3 point buck, come up to drink.

On my way home I was looking out in this field and thought I saw a black cow. When I looked again it was a big black bear. I watched this bear wander around for about 20 minutes. It was getting dark so my pics did not turn out well at all.

In the photo below the bear was about 35 yards away from me so I started to yell and clap at him to see if I could scare him off. He just looked at me and even took a few more steps closer. He did not seemed bothered by me at all. There was a campground about 150 yards away, so hopefully this bear stays alive.

4 comments:

  1. That bear looks sick. Stacy and I ran into a bear a few weeks ago on our we up to a resort in ID. I started walking towards it and it just ran away. Let me know when you head up here again. There is some stellar fishing just across the border in ID that I just found out about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrett, that bear appeared to be healthy, not sick. I don't think I'll be up your way until next year. How much longer do you have up there? If you get a chance, come down here this fall and we'll do some lake fishing for big old pigs. Was the bear you saw a black bear or a grizz?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't be able to make it back any time this fall. I've got both school and work. I think the bear was a brown bear of a grizz- I know it wasn't a black bear.

    Stacy and I go up to Sandpoint, ID every other week b/c we have a sweet hookup w/ a lawyer that let's us use his condo whenever we want. There is a huge lake called Lake Pend O'Reille. The fish in that lake are outrageous. I know a guy that has a boat. He said he'll take me out some time. The lake is so full of huge fish that they've started to use nets since there are so many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fun. Last week I went up to Mt. Graham couple of hours away "Riggs flat lake". Enjoyed getting out. The fish were all so small but plentiful. Apparently the place we camped was bear country, in the middle of the night were wakened by two bears either mating or fighting, but I know, I nearly soiled myself.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete