Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fishing the Scud

Yesterday I took Trent, Todd, and the boys up to the secret lake, after making them all promise to never disclose the location of this lake. When we arrived, Trent took the boys out in the drift boat to chuck some rapalas, while Todd and I walked the banks trying to spot some tiger trout. After Todd tied on a scud I saw him quickly disappear down a cliff enbankment. I ran over to see what he was up to and when I got there I quickly saw why he would brave a cliff to fish. From the top I had an excellent view of this monster tiger trout that was cruising the bank about 5-8 ft under the surface. From where I was this fish looked about 30 inches long and around 10 lbs. Todds fly was not sinking to where the fish was so I chucked him my rod which had a pregnant flip scud with plenty of lead on top and was tied in a size 10. BIG FLY! When Todd casted the fly out in front of this pig, the fish quickly turned to confront this monster scud, but ended up just brushing up against it. The fish changed directions and Todd once again casted out in front. As the scud sank we could easily see the fish turn again to take this meal, however this time we saw its massive mouth open as it took his fly. Todd set the hook and the fish was on. I quickly scampered down the cliff with my net to help land this fish. Long story short, this pig busted off the line right when I had half of his body in the net. Unfortunately the top half was out of the net and he slowly swam away.

After that we walked over to the inlet which still had some cutts podded up from their spawn. We caught quite a few cutts on the pregnant scud while stripping it in with short strips. The weather turned bad which made sight fishing for the tigers impossible.

Jace ended up catching a cutt with a red snowcone midge hanging from a bobber. Jace was not able to hold the fish on his own so his cousins, Tanner and Carter, were more than happy to help.

Tanner and Carter casting their rods.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking me to the "Secret lake" I had a blast. That was a pig and even though we did not land it, I had a blast trying. The lake lived up to its name as being a great place to catch some monsters.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, it was like reading a Twilight novel Justin. So passionate about ah well fish! Good read. Makes me want to snuggle up to some cold huge monster vampire, oh I mean fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, I better never hear you claim that you "caught" that fish. According to you, in order to "catch" a fish, you have to land it, kiss it, take a picture of it, then put it in the cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gare bear,
    That is correct, I did not catch that pig... but for the record,if I would of, I would have made out with that fish then put it in the cooler. The fight was that stimulating.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd, if it was just a little bit longer you would have caught that fish. Garrett, yes I was talking about the net! And Jessica, I have never remove a comment yet; however if you bring up twilight again on my fishing blog, I just might have to. Oh and watching twilight is like watching soccer, they run around for two hours, nobody scores,and its billons of fans insist that you just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete