Thursday, December 10, 2009

Winter Fishing

The boss man at work keeps suggesting that we use our PTO days if we want to, to save on FTE's. I asked him what an FTE was and he didn't know, but said it was a suggestion from our CFO. A couple of days ago I noticed that April, our PTA, did not have any patients to see on Thursday, so being nice, I let her see all of my patients so I could go fishing.

I got up to "The River" around noon and quickly found out that the entire parking lot was empty. I have had plenty of days with the river all to myself, but seldom is the parking lot empty.

I was planning on fishing midges up top, but as soon as I got down to the river I saw that the Browns were still on their spawning beds. The fishing was excellent for both browns and rainbows.

Flies used in order of productivity:
1. egg
2. orange san juan worm
3. red wd-40
4. black seal bugger.














Overall, I fished nearly 2 hrs and caught a plethora of fish. Most of the rainbows were smaller compared to the browns. The temp. was COLD, which is why I only lasted 2 hours. I nearly froze my finger tips off, and my guides kept icing up all day long.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe one of these days when I go fishing I'll have a blog of my own. You ought to come up here during my second or third year. There are a lot of awesome places close to here (i.e.-Yakima, Columbia, and Salmon).

    ReplyDelete
  2. FTE = Full time employee but I have no idea how using your PTO would reduce your FTE's. Its still paid time.

    Your absolutely crazy for fishing in that weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, Thanks for the lesson on FTE's. You forget that I live in Vernal... things don't have to make sense to everyone else, just them.

    Garrett, I might be headed up that way the last week of March to fish some lake with Jarron. If you can swing it, you'll have to meet us. I think it's lake Lenore, but not 100% sure on that.

    ReplyDelete